Shampoo and conditioner bars have been around for a long time, but I’m just now seeing them become popular. I couldn’t care less about people’s reasons. You do you. I love them and I have loved them for years. But with this trend growing, more companies are joining in, and I want to know which is the best.
For the record – I do not get paid by any company for a review. I do not get free products for reviews. I buy these products myself, and use them as an everyday consumer, not as an influencer. I do this by choice, and I give an honest opinion on the product.
Let’s get started and I’ll keep this list updated as I go along, since this is a lengthy process.
Why no pictures?! Because I’m just comparing the bars and listing the pros and cons from my experience. I’m not trying to sell you on a product.
Viori – Leading favorite
- Not listed (I’ll weigh my next bar since I’ve already used the one I have)
- $16.25 single purchase (has gone up to $17 since I started this post)
- $13.00 with a subscription (has gone up to $13.50, and I hate this whole subscription trend. It’s flippin’ ridiculous and is as out of control as cancel culture.)
- Moderate lather (I don’t feel either way about lather. It’s unnecessary but there’s something nice about it.)
- Rinses out easily
- No residue
- Smells amazing
- Lasts about 2 months per bar
- On the pricey side
- Limited fragrance selection. They only have 3 with the occasional “Limited Edition” that pops up.
Acure – Hands down the worst shampoo bar I’ve tried so far. Ever.
- 5 ounces
- $8 at Wegmans
- Best price and size
- Decent lather
- Everything else. I will NEVER use this bar again.
- Waxy residue made my hair matted to my head and unworkable after rinsing. You can’t feel the problem during the wash, it’s just after.
- Had to wash a second time with a different bar to clean up the residue of this one.
Lush Montalbano – Good Overall
- 1.9 ounces
- $12.95 to $13.95 for a 1.9 ounce bar
- $16.95 for larger
- Prices now range from $13.50 to $18.50 since I began this post.
- Smells nice
- Good lather
- Volumizes like it said it would
- Doesn’t last that long… maybe a month depending on usage
- Smallest bar so far
Peach – Meh
- 3 ounces
- $12.95 on Grove (now $12.99)
- Washes out easily
- Average size
- Not badly priced
- Smells nice
- Fairly low lather
- Doesn’t really do much for my hair either way.
HiBAR Maintain – I like it.
- 3.2 ounces
- $12.99 on Grove (now $14.99)
- Smells like fizzy soda
- Lathers well
- Good after feel
- Good body
- Weird shape
- I have to find it elsewhere because I don’t feel like paying Grove every month just for a shampoo bar.